Thursday 16 October 2008

Day 13 Las Vegas, Nevada






I woke up early and got the bus to the strip. I was there a little early but that was fine as I was not too sure where I had to meet the tour bus. It all ran like clock work and we began the 250 mile drive to the canyon. We briefly stopped off at the Hoover Dam to take some photos and then herded back onto the bus. I tried not to look out the window for the next 100 miles as I am doing the same stretch tomorrow. I did noticed the road was busy and, in parts, there is no hard shoulder.


We stopped for another buffet lunch and I ate until I popped. I continued my usually routine of going straight to the loo to relieve the extra weight! After another long drive we finally made it to the canyon. I have heard mixed reviews about the grand canyon and the fact that I got up at 0500hrs and only just arrived at 1450hrs I was hoping to not be disappointed. It was terrific, the pure grandeur was out of this world and I was sucking in immediately. We only had 90mins to enjoy the sight but that did not stop me hiking along the ridge from Mather Point to Yavapai Observation Station.

The sunlight demonstrated a dazzling variety of colourful rock layers, impressive buttes and shadowed side canyons. The Grand Canyon is the canyon against which all other canyons are compared.

Back on the road tomorrow………..bring it on!

1 comment:

CooperationGuru said...

Hello Kris - its us, the ones from Furnace Creek campground. We made it home! Sounds like you are heading our way - Cottonwood/Sedona. If so, we could provide you with a night of warmth and rest. Try emailing us our generic email: imgary@gmail.com if you are interested or want to respond. Gary and Marn