Wednesday 1 October 2008

San Francisco

I woke up to the sound of my alarm at 4.45am having only finished packing a few hours earlier. My transfer picked me up and we begin the horrible journey from Kent along the M25 to Heathrow airport. With the bike dangling of the back of the pick up truck I held my hands together and prayed it would survive the drive.

I completed the usual formalities at the airport and thought about charming the check in person for a free upgrade until I worked out it was actually a man. You cant always tell these days! Prior to checking in, I weighed my luggage and including my bike, but not food or water, the total weight was 42kg. I thought about ditching one of my three pairs of pants (underwear - bloody Ozzies) but I thought I was already living on the hygiene line as it was!

The 10hr long flight was bumpy but I kicked back and watched “Sex in the City” movie with my newly acquired red airplane socks and head mask on whilst drinking a whiskey and coke. Upon arrival at immigrations I was asked to have a private chat with officials because of too many recent stamps from Africa and Turkey in my passport. I don’t think they believed me about the bike trip either.

I was finally released and made my way into San Francisco to meet my host from www.warmshowers.org. I was introduce to her partner and shown into my luxury room. By this time I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep but I quickly built the bike and had a lovely dinner and chatted about what lies in front of me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kris

Do the staff at the airport also think your mad !!!!!!.

Glad you have safely arrived in San Francisco.

Love Mum & Dad XX

Vassilios said...

Hi mosqueteer:
Give them hell!!! this is the mosqueteer way. I'm sure the book that will come out of this trip will be even better than the Istanbul one.

keep it up.
One for all and all for one!