Thursday 30 October 2008

Day 26 Jayton, Kent, Texas



Stats
Daily mileage 111 Ride time 7hr 11min
Avg speed 15.41mph Total mileage 1680

Today I cycled and then cycled some more. The scenery was slightly rolling giving my legs a brief break. Nothing that exciting happened today until I got to a little town called Post. I went to the chamber of commerce, spoke to the ladies and jumped on a WiFi spot. Whilst I was there the judge of the town popped in and the two ladies introduced me to him. As I reached for his outstretched hand I distinctive smell appeared to leak from my armpit. I was rather embarrassed and swiftly pulled back my arm to shut off the smell. I guess those baby wipe showers just arent doing the trick.

I had to buy some cream for this ever changing rash down below. It was red yesterday but has now turned a little dark, perhaps even greenish!!

I got back on the road with about 30 or 50 miles left for the day. I was going to get to a rest area and decided what to do when I got there. My speed was good and I reached the spot in no time. I got off the bike and decided I would call it a day. Within about 15 mins I changed my mind and decided to head to Jayton. It was a gamble as this was a perfect place to camp. The next 20 miles also flew by and I nearly passed the town without realising.

It was deserted but I sore the doors flicker at the local library. The lights were off but the door was open. I stumbled upon a local school teacher and her students decorating the main hall for a big Halloween party tomorrow night. I introduced myself and asked if I could be of any assistance and in return advise me where I could camp for the night. I spent a couple of hours with them and the room was starting to take shape. It was a cool way to spend the evening and was nice to have some company. The teacher invited me to the school tomorrow but I have a big mileage day planned.

I followed her to the suggested camping spot but she started taking me off road. I learnt yesterday about the dangers that lurk off road and those pesty little pricks where back with vengeance. I removed at least 10 from my tyres and we decided to change the destination and moved to park next to a lake. I am praying I did not pick up a puncture from the excursion.
I set up the tent in the dark and relaxed for the night.
Total spent 9 bucks

1 comment:

Wan said...

Hey dude, thought I'd empathise and do a few miles myself today so did 30 up and down hills and vales without eating first. By mile 20 I was into a headwind, after that the last 10 were done on flat at about 8 mph. Never cycled so piss poorly! Made me think twice about John O to Lands End!!!

Glad to see that you're going through Kent, got to say that there must be two heroes on the Kentish roads today ; )

Take it easy dude

Wan