Saturday 1 November 2008

Day 27 Throckmorton, Texas








Stats
Daily mileage 88.83 Ride time 5hr 51min
Avg speed 15.16mph Total mileage 1769

I reluctantly got out of bed and felt the cold on my aching bones. I was concerned at sticking out like a sore thumb in the park and did not want to get in trouble. I packed up in record time and was on the road by 0717am. I checked the bag of goodies that the teacher gave me before throwing it away and to my surprise, she had put 50 bucks in there. It’s a shame I could not have thanked her in person for her generosity.

I had to wait 24 miles before I could have any breakfast and it felt like forever. Eventually I arrived at the town and went straight for a large burger, fries and coke. It tasted delicious. My calorie intake for the last few days have been minimal. It pretty stupid on my behalf but I am curious to see how far I can go on little quantities of food. I guess I am trying to work out my miles per the gallon ratio! During the 90 miles I covered today I only consumed 1 pear, 1 chocolate brownie, 1 herseys bar,1 burger, fries and coke. To be honest I didn’t feel that week either.

As I approached the town of Throckmorton , I spoke to man on the side of the road and enquired about food and water. It was another 40 miles before I reached Graham so I had to be prepared. Also, that would have made a total of 130 miles today and I was gunning for a new record. He was very polite and intrigued about the trip. He offered me a place to stay here in town and I made the tough call to stay the night. It was difficult as I had been aiming for that allusive 130 mile marker all day and I was on track of reaching it. But I reminded myself this is exactly what I wanted from this trip.

We went to his house and the first thing I did was have a hot shower and it felt amazing. I did a quick laundry whilst Andrew, my host, returned to work and I introduced myself to his adopted foreign exchange son called Juno. Juno is from Korea and is on a cultural programme to experience life in rural Texas. Once Andrew returned from work we went and fed his horse and goats and then put some massive steaks on the barbeque.
Andrew suggested we go and watch the local schools American football match featuring the Greyhounds versus the Wild Cats. It was such an awesome experience from the band to the cheerleaders. I had been desperate to watch a football game whilst I was here and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We returned back to his house and I spoke to Andrew for a bit before retiring to bed. All in all, a very enjoyable day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have seen high school football after having eaten steak. You've official *done* Texas.