Tuesday 25 November 2008

Day 51 Jacksonville, Florida (WARNING: Lots of Writing)

I slept like a log and disappointingly missed Helen’s youngest daughter go to school. I had some more coffee and tried to ignore the nightmare journey ahead of me today. I absolutely hate flying, so much so I would rather wax my genital area. Because of stupid Virgin Atlantic, I have to fly from Jacksonville to Nashville, then to Chicago, changed plans and fly back to San Francisco. I then spend the night back at my starting destination and fly direct to London the following day. The only plus side is that I get to see my lovely hosts in San Fran again.

I loaded up my luggage and we headed into town to have some lunch with Barry, George and Margo. We went via the elementary school so I could say goodbye to Helens daughter. After a super lunch I thanked them all for being such wonderful hosts and being so kind.

The journey to the airport only took a few minutes and there was no queue at the check in desk. I had to pay 50 bucks for my bicycle and ordered to take it to the end of the counter. I said goodbye to my bike as if it was a child. That baby has travelled a long way and I didn’t want it damaged or lost by some numb nuts at the airport.

I had only 90 mins to wait before my flight left so I started my diary. Soon enough I was on the plane and being given some nuts and soda. The take off was smooth but the approach was bumpy due to the horrible weather in Nashville. The flight to Chicago and San Fran was uneventfully. When I picked up my bike box at San Fran I had noticed Customs had cut open the box and resealed it. I just hope they replaced everything and didn’t break anything in the process. The box was looking even more battered than before.

I was met by Jan and whisked back to her place. I arrived later than expected so we only chatted briefly before I retired to bed.

Having hours on the plane to contemplate things I have decided it does actually feel quite strange. I guess I should write something inspiring and thoughtful about my journey but as some of you have probably realised my writing style is worse than a secondary school kid. My illiteracy and shocking ability to express myself will no doubt result in a slur of words. Nevertheless, I shall dedicate the next few paragraphs to thoughts, feelings and anythingness!

So the journey started off completely different to how it ended. I intended it to be an adventure but after hitting the plains and desert of nothingness the trip turned into a challenge of me versus me. This may seem strange and hard to understand but I didn’t feel I missed anything by the change in attitudes. After the Grand Canyon there was nothing on my route that was pulling me in. Of course there are things to see but I was never prepared to complete a humungous detour to see something. Also, the trip was very weather dependant and I was almost forced to head the direction I went.

The feelings I experienced when approaching the finish were very different to any other rides I have completed. For example, when Alison and I got to our goal in Istanbul we both felt very numb and emotionless. There was no feeling of extreme joy or satisfaction. We concluded it was to do with the joy and rewards was the actual journey itself as opposed to getting to the finish. Whereas, this time the journey was not the reward, it was the finishing. As I approached that beach with my fan club cheering, my blood was boiling with excitement. I felt so satisfied with the way I had dealt with scenarios I had been faced with. At times my emotions had been so low but I dug deep and found strength from somewhere to keep me going.

So I left the coast of the Pacific and soon found myself with in the mountainous region known as the Yosemite nation park. The path then lead me to the baroness of Death Valley. Further on, the terrain turned into desert as I passed through Nevada and Arizona. Eventually, I hit the flat planes of Texas where I could see for miles around. Then there was the swamp and marsh lands of Louisiana and Mississippi. Finally, I followed the Gulf Coast but briefly headed inland until I arrived at the Atlantic Ocean.

I have so many people to thank for making my coast to coast journey so memorable. I am amazed at peoples generosity and willingness to help. I have been given accommodation, food, advice and even money to complete my trip. I am in no doubt that I have made some great friends through this trip and may even inspired some people to get out there and live their dream.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

AAAGGGHHHH! Yes, it WAS the journey that was the reward. It may not have been a "slap you across the face" obvious one this time. The reward is in who you have become through the experience, winning that battle against yourself, making friends, experiencing something new and different.... and I could go on.

"...Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you will have understood by then what these Ithakas mean."

Sorry, I had to post that comment... you know me :)

Best wishes with the flight home. Take the meds!!!

Vassilios said...

Mosqueteer you've earned your rank. You are the commander now. Now we all expect you to lead us to new chanllenges!!

Kayla quoted from Kavafy's Ithaka. I think it was very appropriate for the occasion. Great choice!

I counterquote:

" ... As if long prepared for this, as if courageous, ...
... Above all do not be fooled, do not tell yourself
it was only a dream, that your ears deceived you;
do not stoop to such vain hopes."

I'll see you in Greece soon.

One for all, all for one.