Wednesday 5 November 2008

Day 31 South of Lufkin, Texas




Stats Daily mileage 93 Ride time 7hr 10min Avg speed 12.88mph Total mileage 2093
What a battle that was today. Incase the wind was not enough to stop me, the earth decided to throw rolling hills at me all day. Anyway, back to this mornings breakfast. I woke up hungry and was waiting at for the dining room door to open so I could jump in. I made a school boy error and scoffed my food too quickly and was full in about 20 mins. I rated my buffet breakfast challenge as a shameful bronze and the only reason I got a medal was because I put at least 4 muffins, 7 mini donuts and an assortments of other cakes in my pockets as I left.
I got on the road before 0800am and promised myself I would not stay in a hotel tonight. The bike felt great and I accepted the slow speed I was going. The road meandered through lovely rolling countryside enclosed by an assortment of coloured trees. Eventually, I got to Lovers Lookout, a rest point I wanted to reach last night. In hind sight I should have just gone for it as there were great facilities there and the view was magical. I spoke to the wardens who offered me more donuts and coffee.
The day consisted of going up, down and then up again. I would occasionally have a swearing fit at the wind and could not help think what it would be like if the wind was patting me on the back. The condition of the road was terrible and was not making it easy riding. I passed massive smoking Barbeque in the shape of a pistol that I thought was pretty cool.
I stopped only a few times and once I got on the 69 south of Lufkin I had had enough.. The traffic was insanely busy as people were finishing work and the road was very bumpy. I stopped at an RV park beside the road and it looked very run down, possibly even closed. With no one insight I just pitched my tent and hid in it from all the mozzies. A local approached me and confirmed the park has closed down and reckons the police might not be happy to find me here. I told him I was leaving at the crack of dawn and would deal with them if they show up.
Its only 1800hrs and its been dark already for about 40 mins. I reckon I am going to be tucked up in bed by 1900hrs but I am aiming to be on the road before 0700am. However, that has been the goal on several other occasions! Lets have a vote…..Will I or wont I? Total spent: 3 bucks This video is my impressive of the wolf man, be warned its scary.





2 comments:

Wan said...

You're one hairy mother!

93 miles with a head wind is pretty impressive dude, not sure I'd like to do 0.93 miles.

Bought Lukey an awesome toy today, it's an activity centre that he sits in the middle of and I want one. Maybe beers on one station, 360 on another, maybe a cheeky poker station and laptop on another. Sounds like a business venture to me!

Take it easy dude,

Wan

Unknown said...

The prevailing wind is from the southeast adding some of those East Texas rolling hills and you have some heavy riding. Excellent effort with those conditions. It gets flatter as you go south toward Beaumont.
Rick Ankrum
www.texbiker.net