Friday 7 November 2008

Day 33 Livonia, Louisiana

Stats
Daily mileage 123 (New record) Ride Time 8hr 42min
Avg speed 14.18 mph Total mileage 2309

At 0400hrs some idiot started kicking at my tent telling me to get up and get lost. I politely told him to get lost as I had the owners permission to camp where I was. I tossed and turned for a further 40 mins and decided to get up. The gas station was already serving breakfast so I had a couple of bacon, egg and sausage baps whilst waiting for the sun to rise. I got on the road at the earliest opportunity and knew I had to put in a lot of miles today.

I had my first sprinkle of rain since I started the trip but it did not last long. The first 40 miles flew by and I had done 70 miles by 1230hrs. As I left Eunice I bumped into another tourer called Bob. He has been on the road for 70 days and is also heading towards Florida. It is always interesting to share stories but I was so focused on pushing on I didn’t speak to him for long.
With over 8 hours on the saddle I was aching everywhere. My knees were screaming for me to stop but I had to push on. I was on the road when the sun came up and I was about to see the sun set whilst still being on the road. A scenario I don’t want to repeat too much.

I passed a few possible wild camp spots but wanted to reach Livonia and check into a hotel. I felt disgusting and dirty and really needed a shower. After a brief discussion with the hotel receptionist it was clear she was not going to rent me a room. I asked to speak to the manager and after giving her the spiel, she offered me the disable room.

I jumped straight into the shower and watched the brown water fill up the tub. Afterwards I browsed the internet and discovered my friends house is still 110 miles away. Another hard day is required tomorrow but I cant wait to get there and have 5 days off!

Total spent: 86 bucks

1 comment:

Vassilios said...

Hi mosqueteer!!!
You must have been hanging out with Arthur Miller: "What is it that you hate in this life? I hate work and I do not like flies."
Next time I see you I'll teach you how to overcome the force of gravitation and that of a head wind. So, things will fall into place and riding will become simpler after that.

One for all, all for one