Friday 21 November 2008

Day 48 Jacksonville, Florida


Stats
Daily mileage 65 Ride Time 4hr 46min
Avg speed 13.64 mph Total mileage 3065

I woke up several times during the night thinking about it all being over very soon. I got up at 0800hrs, had a shower and drank some coffee. With Barry still asleep, I left the house and said goodbye to all the dogs. The glorious tail wind had gone and the usual cross/headwind had returned with anger. Determined not to let that get to me I kept focused on the few miles remaining.

After 20 miles I stopped at a gas station which turned out to be a hunters gathering place. With pictures of dead dear and proud hunters all around the walls I felt a little uncomfortable. I rushed down my fries and chicken and got back on the bike. Within minutes I received an aggressive horn beep from a logging truck for not pulling off the road so it can fly past me. He obviously found it too much to slow down instead he just wanted to bull doze along the road. Thoroughly hacked off at his ignorance, I rode with aggressive until I eventually calmed down and relaxed.

I got very excited when I passed into the city limits of Jacksonville and realised that the end was in sight. Like any city, the traffic congestion started building and there were traffic lights on every block. I knew it was only a matter of time before I received another beep from an obnoxious driver. Sure enough I got the beep and then the hand gesture indicting me to get on the sidewalk. Fortunately we were approaching lights so I got the chance to shout abuse through the window.

It was such a shame because I was on a high of being so close to the finish but as soon as I received that beep my emotions turned to anger. There really was no need and if he had opened his eyes there was even a sign indicting the road is shared with bicycles. Plus, I could be ticketed for cycling on the sidewalk.

I found my couchsurfing.com host house and was greeted by Helen and Barry. There house gorgeous and they live in a lovely location. We went for a short walk down to the river and discussed the logistics for tomorrow. The plan is to find a bike box in the morning and then I will finish the ride to the Atlantic coast in the afternoon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kris

Almost there.......

Mum xx

Kayla said...

So.... where are you? Did you see the Atlantic? I really am so impressed with what you have done!