Wednesday 19 November 2008

Day 46 Perry, Florida

Stats
Daily mileage 68 Ride Time 5hr 05min
Avg speed 13.43 mph Total mileage 2930

I crawled out of my sleeping bag and was slapped in the face by the cold air in tent. The outer tent was soaked in condensation so I slipped out without touching the sides. As I stood up a family of dear where munching on the grass only 10 metres away. I relit the fire and wrapped up warm. I threw the outer layer over a washing line so it could drip dry. I returned about 10 minutes and was amazed that the water droplets had turned into ice!

I set of wearing pretty much everything I had. Fortunately the sun was shining brightly and once out the shadow it was glorious. I was starving and thirsty so I stopped after only 4 miles and had a hot coffee and bun. I sat out of the wind and enjoyed the sun rays beat on my face whilst devouring my food.

The road was quiet and pretty and the first few hours the miles flew by. I think it really hit me that I only have a few days cycling left and that brought a huge sense of satisfaction over me. I had overcome so much during my journey and been pushed to my limits.
The lack of food was beginning to make me feel weak and as if by magic a Subway appeared from nowhere. I had the usual foot long with cookies and soda. I could have eaten it all but decided to save half and eat it later on.
I made a decision to have an easy day so plodded on and paid no attention too my slow speed. I passed over a small river and stopped at a picnic table beside the canal. I found a spot out of the wind and sun soaked for 30 minutes. It was lovely and peaceful.

I arrived at Perry and searched for the motel strip. After some negotiations I checked into a room and ordered the biggest take away pizza on the menu. I spent the evening chatting to friends over the internet and watching a NBA game on TV.

No comments: