Saturday 15 November 2008

Day 42 Dauphin Island, Alabama




Stats
Daily mileage 71 Ride Time 5hr 05min
Avg speed 13.83 mph Total mileage 2592

I woke up a little later than intended but was still on the road before 0800hrs. I said goodbye to Linda and thanked her for having a brilliant day yesterday. The wind was strong as predicted but was easing me along for a change. I was conscience the day off had put me behind and I found myself doing all sorts of mathematics to work out what was required to reach my goal.

The riding slowed as my direction turned into the wind. It was time to listen to some music and let my mind drift away from the fact I was so close to finishing. I crossed into my penultimate state, Alabama, which is always moral booster. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time, albeit brief, in Mississippi. Later on in the day I had to take a ferry across from Dauphin Island to the Bay on the other side, some 2 miles away. By taking this route I avoided a major city and the chaos involved in cycling through it.
As I got closer I thought I would start enquiring with locals whether the ferry was running. Once again I was given all sorts of answers and decided to get a number to call and find out the truth. If it was closed I had to fight a 15-20mph head wind for about 30 miles. This option really didn’t appeal to me as it meant pain for a long time and then having to cycle through the town.
I finally got through and was told the news I didn’t want to hear. The ferry had seized operation at 1100am, some two hours ago, due to the high winds. I was adamant I was not going to cycle into the head wind and decided to head towards the ferry and camp opposite the port and hope it will be running in the morning. This is a really big gamble as I have been told the weather is meant to be freezing tonight and windy tomorrow.

I got to the campsite and was charged a horrendous 22 bucks (15 pound). The ferry was indeed closed but the first one leaves at 0800hrs tomorrow morning. I set up my tent and went for a walk to the Gulf beach. It was beautiful. The sand was shining white and the sea was calm. The wind was kept out by the forest of trees just off the shore line. I stayed out there and watched the sunset over the ocean. I returned to my luxury tent and watched some movies.
I still managed my 70 miles as required but that will be irrelevant should the ferry not be running tomorrow. I hope I haven’t made the wrong decision.

2 comments:

Vassilios said...

A mosqueteer shines wherever he might find himself, be that with his bike or his teaching skills. Did they make you a job offer at Bilixi?

Wish you luck with the ferry, so that you won't have to demonstrate your swimming skills.

One for all, all for one

Unknown said...

Enjoy the coast. Interior Florida is going to be boring as hell.