Sunday 9 November 2008

Day 35 New Orleans, Louisiana





















The aim was to wake up early as Duffy and Kayla had got tickets for me to see a college American Football. It was quite a an important game due to the standings but even more so because the opponents coach, Alabama, used to coach the home team, LSU. Despite taking LSU to a major victory, he left on bad terms and this was his first return to the LSU stadium.

With Duffy spending most of the night with his head in the toilet he was feeling quite unwell and tired. For once, his condition was not alcohol related but I felt a little hung over as I drunk more alcohol than water yesterday whilst having cycled a record 124 miles. We had a massive palaver trying to get Duff some medicine but got it in the end.

We arrived at the game, along with the other 93,000 people and the place was pumping. Its hard to describe as the place was simply electric. I am not even talking about inside the stadium. They have these feasts called tailgates were people bring there RV, truck, car and have a selection of food and beer in front of their vehicle. As well as that they have music blasting and people are cheering and dancing. Some even erect satellite dishes so they could watch the pre match build up. It was fabulous to witness.

The aim at these games is to get pretty tanked up on alcohol prior to going in and if you are extra sneaky, try and smuggling in small bottle of spirits. Instead, I drank the majority of my Jack Daniels and Mr Bean prior to going in but it was fun watching everyone hide theirs. The atmosphere was so friendly, even between rival fans.

We walked up the stadium stairs and then out onto our seats. The stadium itself was packed to the rafters and was awesome. The game got on the way after the band and cheerleaders did their thing. Considering this is only college ball I could not believe the support and money that was being used in such an event.

I ate everything American I could, which included, hot dogs, soda, popcorn and peanuts. LSU were expected to get thrashed but kept it level all game. Alabama had a chance of clinching victory with the very last kick of the game but were unbelievably denied by an incredible block from LSU. The game went into overtime and Alabama snatched the win. They are presently the number one team in the country but did not look that good after today’s performance. However, with the noise the fans were making that must have been a hard stadium for any away team to play in.

During the drive home I was beginning to feel very fluey and my bones were aching. My nose was leaking and I feared I was getting the dreaded man flu. We got home just in time to watch the Cazaghe Vs Jones fight I so desperately wanted to see. After another brilliant display from the Welshman I retired to bed buzzing from a fabulous day.

If any of you need to contact me directly please email me at krisbearryman@yahoo.co.uk. i can not reply to any comments left on this blog.

No comments: