Monday 17 November 2008

Day 44 Mexico Beach, Florida

Stats
Daily mileage 106 Ride time 7hr 22min
Avg speed 14.42mph total mileage 2,783

I am currently a happy man. I am sitting in my tent slurping down some beer and scoffing some chocolate thinking how I managed to get through today. Physically I feel strong but mentally I am finished but yet I still find something to keep me going. Minutes can sometimes fly by as if they were seconds and at other times they pass slower than hours.

Anyway, I ate everything possible for breakfast and took 5 more muffins for the road. For the first 90 mins I felt terrible and wanted to puke up the food. Eventually my stomach settled and I got into a rhythm. I followed the coast all day and never got sick of seeing the ocean. The water has now turned into an ocean that I would want to take a dip in. Previous to this the water has been murky and dark.

I stopped for lunch at Subway and have become accustomed to their footlong sandwich with cookies and soda. So much so, this is my third one on the trot and I do not intend in stopping that run tomorrow! I reached Panama City and was tempted to call it a day as I had done 80miles but the sun was still high so I decided to push on. The proceeding 26 miles went on and on and on.

I promised myself I would not stay in a hotel tonight so I stopped at the first RV park I saw. They refused to take tents and recommended another site 2 miles away. I followed his directions and ignored the motels on route. I got to the campsite and had a good giggle with the owner. He pointed out my pitch and said he would be going to the gas station for beer later should I want some. Hell yeah, I said.

I went for a little wonder around the campsite and noticed this sign only 60 metres from my tent. I spoke to a fellow camper who states there is a 12 ft alligator along the canal somewhere. My beer arrived and I decided to forget about being eaten alive and turned my thoughts on my next travels.

2 comments:

Vassilios said...

RUN MOSQUETEER RUN!!!!

JohnBoy said...

Sounds like you had a good day. You are on the home stretch.
good Luck John, Biloxi