Saturday 1 November 2008

Day 28 Bridgeport, Texas





Stats
Daily mileage 93 Ride Time 6hr 42min
Avg speed 13.88 mph Total mileage 1862

I woke up to the smell of omelette and fresh coffee. I jumped in the shower and then enjoyed my breakfast whilst Andrew went to fetch Juno’s friend, Jon Q. Yesterday, Jon Q and I spoke for some time regarding my travels and he wanted to see me off this morning. Farewells were exchanged and I hit the road. Last night was a wonderful experience and I hope I made as much of an impact on their lives as they did on mine.

The road devil was out in full force this morning. Every mile felt a struggle and the thought of sitting on the saddle for 7 hours was messing with my head. Eventually, my mind drifted about a few challenges I want to complete when I get home and the road devil burnt away.

The scenery has changed dramatically today. The road has become undulating and covered but an array of multicoloured trees. I saw my first armadillo today, albeit dead. Infact, I have seen a lot of road kill today including a dear, raccoon, cat, skunks and an eagle.

I have made some calculations regarding visiting my friends in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and they are approximately 600 miles away. I am aiming to get there by 7th November. This requires me to cycle approx 85 miles a day. As if by fate, I passed that marker and I saw a Best Western Hotel shine on the horizon. I was annoyed with myself for even considering it as I was doing so well on the 100 buck challenge. I thought to myself there was no harm in finding out the price. The hotel receptionist were very welcoming but quoted 160 bucks. I told her what I was doing and after some negotiations she dropped it down to 85 bucks. It was still way out of my price range but there was free chocolate, cookies, cereal, coffee, orange juice and a fitness suit plus hot breakfast. I decided to treat myself and ate everything insight. Every cookie and coffee eaten was making the price of the room cheaper and cheaper.

I got changed and went to the gym to lift some weights. The room was covered in mirrors and I noticed I have lost a lot of weight. My upper body tired very quickly and I fear I will be aching a lot in the morning. I went back to my room and had a lovely soak in the tub.

The rest of the evening was spent chilling and watching TV. My 100 buck challenge is over but in 4 days I only spent 41 bucks, or approx 24 pound.

I want to thank everyone for their comments on the blog, text and email. I don’t always have the opportunity to reply to them but believe me when I say they are a real moral booster. Keep them coming please!

2 comments:

Wan said...

Absolute ball bouncingly exciting climax to the F1 season today dude. Hope you managed to see highlights.

Vassilios said...

hi mosqueteer:
As always awaiting for the next episode, which is typically more captivating than the previous one. All of your fans, certainly myself, vicariously experience a trip that would have loved to do ourselves. So, keep riding and keep writing.

One for all all for one.