Monday 13 October 2008

Day 9 Furnace Creek, Death Valley


Stats:
Daily mileage: 56 Ride Time: 4hr 36
Avg speed: 12.15mph Total miles: 458

Oh my god my head really hurt this morning. My beer to food ratio was severely one sided last night and I felt rough before the day had even started. Just the right preparation to climb a 5000ft mountain!

I went back to the bar and had a greasy omelette and vast amounts of coffee. I took it casually as I didn’t plan on it being a long day in the saddle but I was aware of trying to cross the pass in the midday sun.

Severely dehydrated, I hit the road and was chugging up the hill almost instantly. A motorist pulled over and offered me a top up on the liquids which I happily obliged. The wind was so strong and the road was so steep, my speed was at a constant 4mph. I learnt something about myself on that uphill section, I have incredible balance. To cycle at such a slow speed requires great skill not to fall over side ways!

I calculated the pass would take me a little over 2 hours to reach the top and I felt every second of it. The temperature of the wind was piercingly cold but there was nothing I could do. I eventually got to the top and was able to see the heart of Death Valley. I wrapped up with my woolly hat and bandana to cover my cracked lips and sore nose. The descent was awesome, I didn’t pedal for about 9 miles. I just sat on the saddle and admired the view whilst adjusting to the temperature change as I decreased in elevation.

I reached Stone Pipe Well, were I had originally planed on camping. I spoke to the park ranger, who stated the camping doesn’t open until the 15th Oct. She told me I would have to go to Furnace Creek, which was only 30 min drive. I looked at her and thought does this bike look like a car?!? But that isn’t the first time people have given me distance markers in terms of car travelling time. The other day a lady told me my selected destination would take 40 mins to drive and 50 mins to cycle. Bearing in mind the road was straight with a speed limit of 55mph, I thought this lady really doesn’t cycle!!

Anyway I digress, I bought some food and water and got back on the road. I passed some random sand dunes and made good time on the bike. Mentally, I was drained and didn’t know where I was at. The temperature was in the high 80’s and I wanted to get out of the sun. My head pounded from the beer the previous night and the physical exertion from this morning. I eventually arrived at the camp and decided to give my bike a spring clean. I ate a pot noodle for dinner and planned my route to Las Vegas.

No comments: