Thursday 2 October 2008

San Francisco Day 2




Day 2
After sleeping for an eternity I woke up and began my foot tour of San Francisco. I began at Crissy Fields, which is a marsh land near the Golden Gate Bridge, and followed the Bay along to Fishermans Wharf. The route is a popular destination for joggers and cyclist with two very iconic backdrops, the bridge and Alcatraz. I had to go and visit Lombard street which is supposedly the windiest street in San Fran. I then walked along Pier 39 and chuclked at Bubba Gump shrimps restaurant and numerous other tourist attraction.
A visit to San Fran is not complete without seeing Alcatraz and it did not disappoint. The short ferry cruise split through the eerie fog forming on the water to reveal this imposing rock formation out in the bay. Walking through the prisoners quarters was fascinating and being able to stand in the isolation cells, alternatively known as the Hole, was truly scary. Inmates have spent up to 14 days in complete darkness in a room smaller than most bathrooms! I found the famous escape of Alcatraz ingenious and the fact that these prisoners where doing hard time for some terrible crimes were irrelevant!


The plan next was to head to Chinatown and get some fortune cookies however I had three enormous blister forming on my heels due to my spanking new shoes! I decided to pop them and return back to my host house before I could continue my sight seeing.

2 comments:

RobBrennan said...

Glad you made it mate.

I'll be following the blog, so i think i should set a little challenge for you. each time you enter a new location, you have to send a video, stood by a sign post, simply saying "Rob is my hero".

Good luck Young Bearryman

Rob

Unknown said...

San Francisco - "I left my heart in San Francisco" I feel a song coming on....... but Kris you know what Dad says - I have a voice like a cheshire cat - so I will not continue...

We are your no.1 followers.

Mum & Dad xx